Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sweet Sister Shaffer


Can anyone guess what today is? November 10th.. It's a big anniversary for me! Anyone???

FIVE years ago today, I officially became a RM!! Yep, November 10, 2004 was the day I came home from (at that time I thought) the best time of my life (now I know it was just the best time at that time)!

Because that day was so significant in my life, every year I ponder back on the mission and that day I was sent home. The other day I was thinking about that, and the person I was when I was a missionary. I started laughing thinking about Sweet Sister Shaffer... O to be the person I was on my mission again..
For those who don't know and remember, I did N
OT want to come home. I felt like they were kicking me out of the Garden of Eden into the Telestial world.. (sorry for the LDS terms..). I was so determined to stay 'perfect' and not indulge in the things of the world. On the way home from the airport, I didn't even want to watch 'Finding Nemo'... So they put on 'Finding Faith in Christ'... Haha! When my mom asked me if I wanted a new dress for my homecoming talk, I told her I had plenty of dresses... She and my sisters were SHOCKED, to say the least. Yes, I was one of those weird RM's, and it lasted for a long time.
What I'm trying to get at is as much as I make fun of Sweet Sister Shaffer, it's not a bad person to be. The perspective that I had was what I would
hope that I have kept all these years. It's hard to not be a missionary, yet keep the missionary rules... Some are impossible... But the perspective of serving our Heavenly Father full-time, whatever your mission may be; wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, sunday school teacher, neighbor, etc... And the perspective of wanting to be, 100% obedient, so that you are not the leak in the faith pool! We might not to be able to be a missionary the rest of our lives, but we can have a missionary mind. Always looking for opportunities to love and serve those around you!
I know that being able to serve as a missionary helped to be a better wife, mom, sister daughter, friend, sunday school teacher, neighbor, and PERSON...
I'm grateful for that Sweet Sister Shaffer, that I can look and reflect on and remind me what really is important in life.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great way to put it all in perspective... At times I miss my mission, but I agree, it was the best time at that time. Being a wife and mom is SO much more fun:) Wish we could have known you while you were on your mission... just get to hear stories now :)

Chad and Lisle said...

Amen, that is all I have to say. Sometimes I wish I could go back, but I know it will never be the same. I do think of the mission every single day, and how it affected my life. I know I would not be the same person today if I would not have gone. Thanks for your words!

Natasha said...

Love, love, love this post. Thanks for the insight and for sharing your 'sweet' spirit. Really. I happen to be teaching the Gospel Doctrine lesson on member missionary work this Sunday and you made me think of several things. Love ya!

Partyof9 said...

Sweet!

My parents were married in that temple behind you. :)