Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rhythm in life...

Rhythm huh? Odd subject for me to blog about, but I had a thought yesterday that I thought was pretty profound. Most of you will probably laugh at what I deem to be profundity (big word for a Hawaiian isn't it?), but I'm going to tell you anyways.

I've always felt that certain things provide a rhythm for life. The biggest for me has always been music. I listen to different styles, paces and rhythms of music depending on the mood and the task at hand. For example, when I work out, I will usually listen to something upbeat (Switchfoot has some of my favorite running music). When I'm at work, or just thinking to myself, you'll usually find me listening to something far more mellow like Jack Johnson or Bob Marley (I think there music is very much my rhythm).

Sounds around you provide a strong rhythm for life. That's the reason that I love being at the beach. The ocean waves provide a great rhythm to lose yourself in. If you haven't had the experience, lie on the beach at night, close your eyes and just listen to the rolling waves... it is one of the most trance-like experiences you'll ever have. I've found that the sound of waves takes me away better than most music ever will. I guess that's one of the perks of growing up in Hawaii!

Here's my moment of profundity... ready...

I realized how much other people provide a rhythm for life. I'm not just talking about people in general, because everyone around you influences you in one way or another, I'm talking about close and personal interaction with people around you. As I've been alone in our apartment here in New York, I realized how much my rhythm in life is determined by my interaction with my wife, family, close friends and co-workers. Sure, I interact with people here, but it's a very different rhythm than when I interact with people I'm close and familiar with.

I've kind of felt like that drummer who gets thrown into an show with a new band (we can all picture it). As the band plays, he bobs his head a little with the strum of the guitars, a little unsure of the beat of the band. Then in a moment, he has the beat and begins to play some pretty unreal stuff. Now the drummer definitely can play when no one else is around, but the rhythm of his music is determined by the way he interacts with the other instruments. Sure he can play well with a new band, but his rhythm is much more natural when he's with his.

So this would probably be the long way for me to say thanks to those who've helped provide rhythm in my life.

It's fun experiencing and finding a new rhythm with new people around me.

No comments: