Monday, May 12, 2008

A realization while "wundering" in Hawaii...

I recently took a trip home to Hawaii and came to a major realization.


I’ve been reading a book called Positioning: the Battle For Your Mind. It’s a great book by the way, and I’d recommend it to anyone interested in improving the perception that others’ have of them, their business, or even just their life.


As I was reading, I asked myself, “How do others perceive me? What is my position?”


I began thinking back to many defining characteristics about my life.


One factor that has always defined who I am, is my cultural background. My mother is full Japanese, and my father is German, Hawaiian and Tahitian. I grew up in a mix of these different cultures. I can remember eating Japanese food and being taught Japanese traditions, all the while listening to Hawaiian music, and greeting everyone I met with a hug and a kiss (unfortunately I realized that freaks most people not from Hawaii out and have needed to stop). Each culture is manifested in my being, personality and appearance in different ways. I guess you can say that I feel as though the nickname “melting pot” for Hawaii is one that can be applied to me.


There is a sense of mystique to the islands. This was my wife’s fourth trip to visit the in-laws (that was a lobbying card for me when I proposed), and she was more amazed this time than I had ever seen her. Every day she was blown away by what she saw and felt, things that she has heard me talk about on numerous occasions. Words and stories of others do the islands no justice at all. No matter how many times you’ll hear about it, the wonder of the islands can only be felt in person. This is part of the mystique that surrounds Hawaii.


Why talk so much about home? As I’ve interacted and worked with others, I’ve received feedback that helps me realize that much of the way others view me is represented in the characteristics of my home. Hawaii is a diverse place, a place of mystique, a place of respect for culture, and a place of aloha.


Ahh…I hear the thoughts, “Many people have those same characteristics. What makes him so different?”


My answer again is found in people’s perception of the islands…many places have similar climates, features, and sites as Hawaii. You can go to different places and experience the various cultures found in the islands. But ask anyone who’s been to Hawaii and they’ll tell you, “There is NO place like it!”

1 comment:

Jacki Rich said...

LOVE reading your thoughts. LOVE reading about you perception on who you are. LOVE reading about my awesome sister. LOVE hearing about Hawaii. You are right there is no other place like it. We are so blessed that we were able to share a smidgen of that mystique with you and your family. Can't wait to do it again. thanks for being a part of our Eternal Family!!!
-Jacki