I'm not going to lie, this is going to be a little sappy... I apologize in advance.
After eight years out of 'em, I put back on a cap and gown and graduated today from Brigham Young University. For most people, eight years out of high school would yield a graduate degree, but not for me. After a year at school, a year at home, two years on a mission a year of trying to get into the business school, failing to get into the business school, and three more years of classes, I have officially graduated with a Bachelor or Arts in Communications with an emphasis in Advertising, and a Minor in Business Management. It's been a long, but super fun road. I'm so glad that I ended up where I did and studied what I studied.
Here are some fun pictures of the day along with some thanks to those who helped me along the way.
First, thanks to my little family. Cea has been the greatest cheerleader, and Kaniela the best motivation that I could have had to stick it out. Even when he wasn't around, Kaniela was probably the biggest motivation to my education. Hopefully I'll be able to use what I've learned to provide for him what he needs. To Cea, thanks for always reminding me of what's important and putting me in my place...especially those nights that I really didn't want to study.
What would a university experience be like without great professors and mentors. Doug McKinlay and Jeff Sheets are just two of many professors who have played a role in my development. To Doug and Jeff however, I say thank you for your examples and influence not only in our field of study, but also in life in general. You two have taught me many great life lessons and I will always value your wisdom. To all my other professors I say thank you also, and sorry that I couldn't get a picture of you on the blog...you all have been a great influence to me.
To amazing classmate and peers, I look forward to the day we get to work together again. We've accomplished some pretty amazing things for college students and did some pretty amazing work. The late nights, Halo fests, sushi outings and projects completed will not be forgotten. Best of luck to you all in your internships, jobs, families, and lives. When you are all wealthy creative directors, strategic planners and account managers, Kaniela will expect birthday presents each year :)!
THE BEST PART
Probably the best part of the day however, was that I got to share it with my little sis! I remember when I graduated high school, Becky went to my Mom and asked, "Mommy, who's going to come to all my stuff?"
It was a family thing that we would always go and support each other in whatever we did. Becky had been at countless volleyball and basketball games, tennis matches and has sat through many an entertaining awards ceremony for her brothers. But with all of us at college, who was going to attend hers? All the brothers made efforts to come home often to watch her soccer games, track and cross country meets, and her always entertaining math competitions, and we even were all able to make it back for her high school graduation. It was always special to be with family in such special times.
Becky graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering and will be entering the work force with a very good job...making a lot more than I will...probably because she studied a lot more than I did. It was good to be able to share the day with her. Mugsy, sorry that Bruce wasn't here, but I hope that Kaniela and I were good replacements.
It's amazing where life takes you. Today, my parents attended that graduations of their two youngest children, making every one of the Wunders college graduates. Who knows what lies ahead for our family.
We're grateful to all of you for your support and interest in our lives, and wish the thank all of you for what you've done for us! As I said once before, I love a quote that basically said that who we are is the sum of our interactions with others. I definitely realized the truth of that today....MAHALO to all of you!
4 comments:
I am happy to see you satisfied with the things you have accomplished. It has been a wonderful road full of trials and blessings. I am thankful I could work with you on Nike, VW, and even LDSagents back in the day. Good times. Good luck with everything, Kevin!
Congratulations to you Kevin! I loved your blog post. Graduation is an amazing experience and just another milestone among the many we have in life! Im so happy for you and your family!
Congratulations Kevin!!!! This calls for a serious celebration! Keep us posted on where life is going to take you... hopefully it'll be somewhere fun, so we can come visit!!!
Congrats Kevin!!! On graduation and a job. It is amazing to personally witness the motivation that comes through family and of course the little ones that come into them. I eagerly look forward to the day when all of us(AdLab) can reunite to do some incredible work. Keep me posted with everything.
Post a Comment