Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Sunday. Daily Pic. Weekly Update.

What a great week for our family. Our first full week with our little boy has come and gone, and it has been such a great experience. I remember very vividly when both my brothers had their first children. It was such a crazy thing for me to think that my brothers were fathers. I had no doubt that they would be wonderful, they were great role models and just great guys, but it was crazy none-the-less when I first thought of them as parents.

When Ray's first, Kylee, was born, I was in California serving my mission. I was in my first area, and I remember opening my email and seeing her picture. I remember being so overwhelmed with love and amazement that my brother was a dad. I unfortunately wasn't able to meet Kylee until she was a little over 18 months old.

When Kelii had Emi, I was fortunate to be a little closer and was able to watch her grow up, and also Kelii grow as well. I look at them now and see two great fathers (and they have even more amazing wives who are great mothers) and thinking how cool it was that they were dads...weird, but cool.

Now I look at Cea and I, and I feel that we're in that same, "Holy cow, Kevin is a dad...that's weird" boat. I sometimes wonder what my little sister thinks, or what Cea's sibblings think. I know that it trips Russell out that his little sis is now a mother.

It has been absolutely amazing. We both have so much to learn as parents, but are enjoying every second of it. I am truly amazed at how wonderful a mother Cea is. It really is amazing how instinctive motherhood is. I personally can't imagine a better mother for my child than Cea and am grateful for all she does for our little boy.

We hope that you have enjoyed our pictures from this week. We're happy to say that Kaniela is getting healthier each day, and he is not sleeping on his light bed. The doctors are still monitoring his biliruben count (you should see how pricked up his little feet are...it breaks my heart to see them), but seem very optimistic and so far, he is doing great. He loves making faces, we love taking care of him, and we are so grateful that we have our little family!

Here are some fun pictures from today and last night:
How can you not love sleeping babies. When he sleeps, sometimes we'll just sit and stare at him for hours.
He was glad to see Grandma Shaffer today on her way through town.
This is Daddy's new favorite thing to do. He'll sleep on my chest for hours...I love it!


This picture is for his aunt Mandee...Grandma and Grandpa sitting with the two newest grand babies! This actually was the first time that Pampa Shaffer was able to see Kaniela...he'd been sick and didn't want to spread it to Kaniela.

We're still waiting for Papa and Coco Wunder to come visit. I keep trying to convince Coco that she should come up a month or six weeks earlier than she had planned to hang out and help take care of Kaniela. We'll see what happens though, because anyone who knows my mom and dad in Hawaii know that even though their kids are all out of the house, they are still busy helping others and tending to our extended "ohana" on the island!

Thanks again for always visiting and we hope you enjoyed the update. We'll continue to post cute pictures of our growing boy! Be sure to continue to come back this week...we took pictures with my sister-in-law Ev tonight, and she has some great pictures that we're going to post when they are ready!

2 comments:

Mandee Shaffer said...

Dang it you guys! I've been doing so good, but I saw that picture and burst into tears! I miss my puppy and mommy and daddy so bad! And it's killing me to not see your beautiful boy! That picture was so freaking cute. Mom with her new grandbaby and pampa with his favorite grandbaby (of course with the diaper). Oooh. I miss you guys so much!
I know how russell feels. It's so weird that the sister I grew up with, the one I played Barbies with and took baths with and shared clothes with and did ice skating lessons with has a baby. Is a mommy. It was weird enough when she got married, but to be a mommy? woah.
And I can't believe I have to wait till Kani is a year old to see him! I don't get to hold him while he's a little peanut.

P.S. the word I had to type in to verify I'm not a computer? Supplebra

The Jeffs Family said...

What a beautiful baby! Enjoy the snuggly newborn stage--it goes so fast!