So yes, there is no "30 day left countdown" because well...we didn't have 30 days left. So here's how it all went down. Well first...let's back up and put some things into context. So we were on track to have this baby. Kaniela wasn't due until Feb. 27, so that gave us a month to get things done. Our crib was on schedule to be delivered on Saturday from the Shaffers on their way down to Southern California. Last weekend we had picked out our changing table and a chest for all his blankets, and we were going to be picking those up over the course of the next week. Birthing classes were scheduled to start on Feb. 4, and we were going to do a hospital tour and register for his birth the following week. None of Cea's sisters had delivered early, so we thought, "Ah, we've got time."
Now that we've established some sort of context, you can imagine Kevin's surprise when he was sitting in a manager's meeting at work and he receives a text message that said, "When are you going to be done? The Doctor said I have to go to the hospital." Cea hadn't been feeling good the past two days...you know, the normal, back pain and heart burn. She had been hesitant to go to call the doctor because she didn't want to be a "sissy pregnant lady".
On their way to the hospital Cea was cautiously counting contractions. The receptionist had told her, "Count your contractions, if you have five in an hour, call us and we'll probably send you to the hospital." That was 30 minutes prior and Cea had already counted four.
Upon arrival, Cea was having contractions every two minutes or so. With a little stick in the butt of morphine, the pain went away, but the contractions never stopped. The doctors decided to run some blood tests and because we were early, they began giving Cea medication to stop the contractions. Midway through the treatment our nurse Danette came in and said, "You're doctor said that we're going to deliver the baby tonight."
To not confuse, but mostly because Kevin can't remember all the technical terms and Cea was too drugged to remember the specifics, the nurse told us that there were some conditions that required us to begin inducing labor. They also needed to monitor Cea and give her fluids and medication to get her ready. Here's where our little picture book begins:
So here is a good shot of what was shooting through Cea's IV (did we shoot out too many versions of "shot" in that sentence?). Kevin wanted to get a picture of her walking around with her IV pole, but she was forced to stay in bed.
So she waited....
...and waited...and waited through the night. She got some good sleep because she was given her epidural very early and had a long time to wait. Her contractions really seemed to slow down over night, so our nurse decided to put an internal monitor on to make sure that we were reading the contractions right...when she reached down to her cervix and surprisingly said, "Oh, his head is right there ready to go."

The preparation began and the Kaniela's birthday party began. Not that they'll ever read it, but we would like to say thank you to all the Doctors and nurses there that night: Brook, Danette, Heather, Ashley, Brittany, Dr. Reese, Dr. Jacob, and Dr. Jay. After pushing for an excruciating 45 minutes (sorry to all the other women who've been through the pushing before), we welcomed our little boy into the world.




Now that we've established some sort of context, you can imagine Kevin's surprise when he was sitting in a manager's meeting at work and he receives a text message that said, "When are you going to be done? The Doctor said I have to go to the hospital." Cea hadn't been feeling good the past two days...you know, the normal, back pain and heart burn. She had been hesitant to go to call the doctor because she didn't want to be a "sissy pregnant lady".
On their way to the hospital Cea was cautiously counting contractions. The receptionist had told her, "Count your contractions, if you have five in an hour, call us and we'll probably send you to the hospital." That was 30 minutes prior and Cea had already counted four.
Upon arrival, Cea was having contractions every two minutes or so. With a little stick in the butt of morphine, the pain went away, but the contractions never stopped. The doctors decided to run some blood tests and because we were early, they began giving Cea medication to stop the contractions. Midway through the treatment our nurse Danette came in and said, "You're doctor said that we're going to deliver the baby tonight."
To not confuse, but mostly because Kevin can't remember all the technical terms and Cea was too drugged to remember the specifics, the nurse told us that there were some conditions that required us to begin inducing labor. They also needed to monitor Cea and give her fluids and medication to get her ready. Here's where our little picture book begins:
23 comments:
He is SOOOOO CUTE!!!!! Congratulations both of you!!! Now you get to enjoy the ride of your life :)... Glad to hear that both Mom and Baby are doing well! Can't wait to meet him!
Congrats! Yes for sure do the picture a day. You will love it when he is 3 years old and throwing a major fit and you can't remember how cute and little they used to be!
Congratulations you guys! I've been waiting for this post all day! He is so beautiful! I know how scary and crazy it feels to have a baby born early...Benson was 5 weeks early. I'm glad everything turned out okay. Now the fun REALLY begins! Give Cea my love. And yes, you absolutely should post a picture a day of that beautiful baby! Love you guys!
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe how gorgeous he is. Well... kind of.. but he's beautiful. Congratulations! I was so surprised to receive a text... I quickly was remembering my last day picture 32.. wasn't it... hmmm.
How fun! I'm very glad that everything went well and that mom (and dad) are healthy. Love you both/three! =)
awwww =]] that makes me cry!
he is so cute.
i cried for shar and now for you!!! haha
(but i never cried for carly!)
i cant wait to come up this summer!
congrats love you much! =]
Congratulations! We are so happy for you three. I guess Kaniela just couldn't wait another day to join his wunderful parents. It was exciting to see the pictures and we can't wait to see the baby (and you guys, too.)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What a great addition to the Wunder family!
A little Elder Wunder!!! When I saw your post, I couldn't believe he was finally here! Congratulations on such a beautiful little guy. It's probably a good thing for Cea that he came early--that's a good size little guy. They say the baby gains a pound a week that last month. A 10lb. baby would be crazy! We are so thrilled for you guys and know you will be such wonderful parents. You are in our prayers!
wow! i had carlos a month early too-but b/c of complications, not cuz he was ready.
congratulations you guys! that's way exciting! does he have to be in the NICU at all? hopefully not. well, it's fun that you get to have him a whole month early!
Yay! I'm so excited for you guys. And he's absolutely adorable! I can't believe he's already here.
yes! a picture a day the opposite way. congratulations! he is adorable and the pouty face picture is our favorite. were glad you're all doing great.
CONGRATULATIONS!! Seeing your pictures was fun for us! It brought back memories of the day our son entered the world. What a beautiful experience, Im glad you are all happy and healthy.
Congrats Wunders! He's a cutie!
Love,
Robby & Kelsey Egan
Congrats Wunders! He's a cutie!
Love,
Robby & Kelsey Egan
Ha ha, what a quick countdown that turned out to be! :) CONGRATULATIONS! I can't believe you're a daddy. You were just a little boy a few years ago, he he. So sad, time flies!
Kev and Cea congrats!!!! He's just adorable!!!! I can't wait to see the little guy!
Oh my goodness! I decided to check my blog and it showed you made a post that included "Happy Birthday Kaniela" in the title. I thought "it couldn't be?!??" Well, that was a sweet suprise! Just yesterday your mom was showing me the SUPER CUTE crib set she made for you folks! Amazing. Well, congratulations and good luck! Welcome to the world of being at a precious little ones beck and call =)
Oh my word Kev! He's so beautiful! I can't believe it! I think, except the eyes really, he looks like Cea did when she was a baby too! Same color, same hair, same face. Oh he is precious! Can't believe I"m stuck in the vaterland whilst you're having a baby!
We are so happy for you guys! Your family is beautiful and we are glad you posted so many cute pictures. I had been counting down with the pictures... HOW EXCITING!
Hi Celena! ( Hi Kevin you don't know me but I am an old family friend of about 34 years!)
I am SOOOOO happy for you both. He is precious and your photos brought tears to my eyes and giggles to my 1 year old baby girl( born in January 08). January is a great month for a birthday!!! ;)
Enjoy that precious angel!
Kevin: old buddie. Congratulations on the baby boy. He looks adorable and you look like the happiest guy on Earth. Your wife is so beatiful and I am happy to hear that everything went well. I am also expecting a little boy that should be coming into this world any day! My official due date is tomorrow. So our kids will be really close in age and hey maybe they'll meet at S.O.A.R like we did years ago.
Best of luck and wishes to all three of you! Abish
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are so happy for you, and he is absolutely beautiful! I hope all is well!
Congrats Kev and Celena! I am glad everything went well! Now our babies are only a week apart! Good luck with the late preparations!!! Take care!
Post a Comment